Culture of Innovation: Vinay Kumar Dewangan (Director, Cyber Security) Speaks Out
1. What is your “Success Mantra”?
I believe Success is a continuous process in that way, I usually focus on breaking big target into small and targeting those small goals, that helps me to achieve bigger goals. Continuous Learning, Strategic Thinking and positive mindset helps me to get success in my way.
It’s important to recognize that success is highly personal and varies from person to person. What one person considers success may not hold the same meaning for another. Success is not always about external achievements; it can also involve personal growth, happiness, and living in alignment with one’s values and aspirations.
2. Can you describe your personal philosophy when it comes to work ethics and how it influences your leadership style?
My personal philosophy when it comes to work ethics is fundamental to my leadership style. I believe in several core principles that guide my approach to work and leadership, these principles such as Integrity, Accountability, Continuous Improvement, Team Empowerment and Communication shape my leadership style, by creating an environment of trust, collaboration, and ethical decision-making.
- Integrity: Integrity is the cornerstone of my work ethic. I emphasize honesty, transparency, and consistency in all my interactions, both within my team and with stakeholders.
- Accountability: I firmly believe in being accountable for my actions and decisions. I hold myself and my team responsible for our work and its outcomes.
- Continuous Improvement: I promote a culture of continuous improvement. This involves staying current with technological advancements, embracing change, and encouraging my team to learn and grow. It also means seeking feedback and learning from both successes and failures.
- Team Empowerment: I believe in empowering my team members, giving them autonomy to make decisions within their areas of expertise, and trusting them to do their best work.
- Communication: Effective communication is vital in IT leadership. I emphasize clarity in conveying expectations, goals, and feedback.
3. Can you discuss recent trends and emerging threats in the field of cybersecurity, and how organizations should adapt to them?
The Recent development into AI gives a boost in positive as well as negative direction as well in cyber security. AI is reshaping the cybersecurity landscape, both positively and negatively. On one hand, AI can help detect and respond to cyber threats faster and more accurately than humans. On the other hand, AI can also be used by hackers to launch sophisticated attacks, such as adversarial machine learning, data poisoning, or model inversion. These attacks can compromise the integrity and reliability of AI systems.
Cybersecurity is a constantly evolving field that faces new challenges and risks every day. An organization should have focus on the deployment of intelligence operation and automation with security solutions capabilities like, SIEM, Vulnerability management, penetration testing, Endpoint security, DLP, email security, Firewalls, IPS/IDS, User awareness.
4. What steps according to you should be taken to foster a culture of innovation and continuous improvement?
Fostering a culture of innovation and continuous improvement is critical in the fast-paced world of IT. Here are the steps I believe should be taken to promote such a culture:
- Leadership Support and Modelling
- Clear Vision and Goals
- Encourage Risk-Taking
- Open Communication and Collaboration
- Training and Development
- Recognition and Rewards
- Feedback Mechanisms
- Leadership Support and Modelling: It starts with leadership. Leaders should openly support and model the behaviour they want to see in their teams. By demonstrating a commitment to innovation and continuous improvement, they set the tone for the entire organization.
- Clear Vision and Goals: Establish a clear and compelling vision for innovation and improvement. Ensure that all employees understand how their work contributes to the overall objectives. This clarity provides a sense of purpose and direction.
- Encourage Risk-Taking: Encourage employees to take calculated risks. Innovation often involves trying new approaches and technologies, which may not always yield immediate success. Emphasize that learning from failures is just as valuable as celebrating successes.
- Open Communication and Collaboration: Foster an environment where employees feel comfortable sharing ideas and collaborating with their peers. Encourage cross-functional teams to tackle complex problems and generate creative solutions.
- Training and Development: Invest in training and development programs to enhance employees’ skills and knowledge. Ensure that they have the necessary tools and resources to innovate effectively.
- Recognition and Rewards: Recognize and reward employees for their innovative contributions. This can include formal recognition programs, promotions, bonuses, or even simple expressions of appreciation. Rewards reinforce the value of innovation.
- Feedback Mechanisms: Establish feedback mechanisms that allow employees to provide suggestions and voice concerns. Act on this feedback to demonstrate that their input is valued and can lead to positive change.
5. Describe your perfect day off. How do you recharge and relax when you’re not at work?
I love spending time in nature, whether it’s a visit to a local park, a trip to the beach, or a hike in the mountains. Being in nature helps me disconnect from the digital world and find inner peace. I try to spend quality time with family and friends. It could be a leisurely brunch, a picnic, or just a casual get-together to catch up and enjoy each other’s company. I make sure to get a Quality sleep, which is essential for recharging and preparing for the week ahead.